Automotive Engineer Career Course Eligibility Scope Salary
Automotive Engineers design, develop, test and build domestic motor vehicles, racing cars and motorbikes. They also work on improving components like engines, electronics and aerodynamics.
You will need to have a strong interest in engineering and design. You will also need excellent maths and IT skills and the ability to work in a team.
Most employers will prefer you to have an engineering-related qualification. Previous experience in motor mechanics or engineering design could be an advantage when looking for work.
Work Of Automotive EngineersAutomotive engineers are concerned with the development of passenger cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles or off-road vehicles. They do one or more of the following:
- Design new products or modify existing ones
- Troubleshoot and solve engineering problems
- Plan and design manufacturing processes
- Researching, designing, developing and producing vehicles and components
- Preparing cost estimates and design specifications
- Preparing plans and drawings
- Analyzing energy, environmental and safety aspects of the planned project
- Predicting vehicle or component behavior under different conditions using computerized models
- Developing testing procedures
- Investigating product failures
- Analyzing, interpreting and condensing technical data into reports or presentations
- Supervise technical staff
- Working closely with other types of engineers, such as civil, electrical, aerospace, chemical and industrial
- Working with professionals from other occupational fields, such as marketing and legal
Skills Required To Become An Automotive EngineerTo become an automotive engineer, you will need:
- a strong interest in motor vehicle engineering and design
- a creative approach to solving problems
- excellent maths and IT skills
- the ability to analyse and interpret data
- excellent technical knowledge
- good communication and presentation skills
- the ability to prioritise and plan well
- the ability to work to budgets and deadlines
- a commitment to keeping up to date with new technology
- the ability to work as part of a team and take responsibility.
Automotive Engineering Is A Career Right For You?Ask yourself the following questions in evaluating your potential to become an automotive engineer:
- Are you interested in motor vehicles and how they work?
- Are you a natural problem solver?
- Do you communicate well with others and work productively in a team environment?
- Are you comfortable leading and motivating others?
- Are you able to multi-task and meet deadlines?
- Are you willing to constantly learn new things?
If you are passionate about cars and want to put your practical skills to good use, this could be the perfect career for you.
Education Requirement for Automotive EngineerTo pursue an undergraduate course in automotive engineering, candidates should be 10+2 pass with 50% marks in physics, chemistry and mathematics from recognized Board examination.
To pursue a postgraduate course in automotive engineering, candidates should have Bachelor’s degree in automotive engineering / Bachelor in Technology in automotive from recognized University.
Eligibility Criteria for Diploma courses
To pursue Diploma course in automotive engineering, candidates should be 10+2 pass in science stream with 50% marks in Physics, Math’s and Chemistry subjects from recognized board examination.
Few courses under this field are
- Diploma in Automotive Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Automotive Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Automotive Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Automotive Engineering
- Master of Technology in Automotive Engineering
Salary & Job Prospects for Automotive EngineerAutomobile manufacturing industries such as TELCO, L & T, Ashok Leyland, Mahindra & Mahindra, Heldex India, Bajaj Auto and Gabrial employ automotive engineering graduates as Supplier Warranty Recovery Specialist, Underbody Engineer, Senior Production Engineer, Quality Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer and Driver Instrumentation Engineer.
Automotive engineer jobs need constant up gradation of skills to keep pace with technological advancements. Many of Automotive engineering graduates also join defense services of the country. Some even setup own business venture or take up traditional teaching profession.
For fresh graduates the average pay package offered ranges in between Rs. 15,000 to Rs20,000 per month. However, the remuneration varies depending on the size of the organizations, profile, qualification and experience, depending on these factors they can earn as much high as Rs. 1,00,000 per month.