Data Analyst Career Course Eligibility Scope Salary
A data analyst is someone who examines data-based information using data analysis tools. The meaningful results they pull from the raw data helps their employers or clients make important operational decisions by identifying various informational facts.
Data analyst can vary from one industry sector to the next, and from one employer to the next. In general however, data analysts are responsible for looking at and summarizing data in order to extract useful information and develop conclusions. Employees in a different department, such as executive management or marketing, to help advance the objectives of the company as a whole, then use these conclusions.
Data analysts must be able to ask the right business questions, analyze the resulting data effectively, and understand the appropriate statistical techniques in order to harness the multitudes of unstructured data.
Data analysts must apply a wide range of skills when extracting and analyzing data, and presenting the results to executive management or departmental managers, such as business acumen, presentation skills, database skills, analysis skills, and often coding abilities.
Qualification Required for Data AnalystMost candidates for entry-level jobs will need a bachelor’s degree in math, statistics computer science, information management, finance or economics. All of these subjects place a heavy emphasis on statistical and analytical skills.
To climb the career ladder or transition to the role of a data scientist, you will probably be required to earn a master’s degree or graduate certificate in a similar field.
Studying one of the university majors listed below is an excellent starting point to becoming a data analyst.
Required Skills To Become A Data AnalystIn order to become an effective and successful data analyst, you need to possess a certain set of skills and personality traits. These skills and traits will allow you to perform your job duties with competence, as well as help you to overcome the challenges of a career as a data analyst.
- Enjoy working with numbers, data and statistics
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Skilled in data visualization and reporting software
- Proficiency with SQL (structured query language) programming
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Coding and programming abilities
- Enjoy exploring stories and explanations that data may reveal
- Enjoy providing recommendations to decision makers
- Do not require a lot of social interaction during the day
- Have an analytical mind and enjoy problem solving
- Statistical methods and packages (e.g. SPSS)
- R and/or SAS languages
- Data warehousing and business intelligence platforms
- SQL databases and database querying languages
- Database design
- Data mining
- Data cleaning
- Data visualization and reporting techniques
- Machine learning techniques
Data Analyst Job DutiesObtain data through advanced computerized models
Remove erroneous data
Perform initial analysis to assess the quality of the data
Perform further analysis to determine the meaning of the data
Perform final analysis to provide additional data screening
Extrapolate data patterns from computer model
Prepare reports based on analysis and present to management
Data Analyst HiringData analysts work part-time, full-time and in a contractual basis all industries, ranging from non-profit organizations, government and education, to high-tech, finance, and consumer products.
Companies that hire Data Analysts include:
- Construction companies
- Utility companies
- Oil, gas and mining companies
- Hospitals and health care organizations
- Colleges and universities
- Federal, provincial/state and municipal government departments
- Transportation companies
- Telecommunications companies
- Insurance, finance and banking organizations
- Management consulting companies
- Manufacturing companies
Salary of Data AnalystThe average salary for an Entry-Level Data Analyst in India is Rs 298,460 per year. The skills that increase pay for this job the most are SAS, R, Visual Basic (VB), SQL, and SPSS.
The average salary for a Data Analyst in US is $55,036 per year. For the first five to ten years in this position, pay increases somewhat, but any additional experience does not have a big effect on pay. Most people move on to other jobs if they have more than 20 years' experience in this career. The highest paying skills associated with this job are SAS, Data Mining / Data Warehouse, Data Modeling, SQL, and Microsoft SQL Server.